Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Days 29-30 - Krakow, Poland and Berlin, Germany


Day 29 – Debrief and Free Time
          
For our last day in Poland, we first had a few hour discussion of Auschwitz.  It was really useful to be able to listen to what other people thought.  It helped to be able to process what we saw.

Afterwards, we had free time to explore the city, shop for souvenirs, and repack – in preparation for the train back to Berlin.

 
Market


Day 30 – Last Day of the Trip

Today is the last day of our Dialogue to Germany and Poland.  We are spending it on a 10+ hour train ride from Krakow back to Berlin.  Joy.  But anyway, this trip has definitely been an experience.  I have never got more out of a class than I did this one – and I doubt I ever will.  I have learned so much.  Not only about the history of the Holocaust during World War II, but about how the people in Germany and Poland today deal with the trauma of their pasts.  The experience of this trip was amazing, and I am so grateful that I had to chance to do it.

Tomorrow, I start the non-tragic part of my trip to Europe.  I will be spending the next 13 days in London, Paris, and Barcelona with a tour group.  I really enjoyed the trip to the Holocaust centric sites (well as much as you can enjoy such sites) but I am looking forward to visiting some less depressing sites, as a tourist, instead of as a student!  Good-bye from Germany and Poland!

No comments:

Post a Comment